
I wanted to tell ya'll about one book I read here, The Hiding Place. I know this is a well known book, but I doubt many people in our generation have read it. I could be wrong, so let me know if you have read it. It is the story of Corrie ten Boom and her family. They were very strong Christians who hid Jews in their home in Holland during the Nazi occupation. They were eventually put into concentration camps in Germany. Corrie's sister, Betsie, died there, but Corrie was released and wrote this book, The Hiding Place, about her life. A book like that puts everything into perspective. I have experienced NO suffering compared to them. In the book, she talks about compared to Christ, she has experienced NO suffering. One huge lesson I gained from the book was about loving your enemies. They were always praying for the Nazi soldiers and after the war, welcomed them into a recovery home. Personally I thought of this as a Buddhist monk beggar came up to me on the street yesterday. It is not very common that I see beggars here, but we were in a different part of town on our way to the museum. I admit, that I did not give him any money. I regret it now. At the time, it felt like the biggest inconvenience to stop, pull out my wallet and give him at least some coins. But that is the only interaction I will probably EVER have with him. After I passed him, I thought about Corrie ten Boom. I just thought about how unselfish she was in so many ways toward other inmates, prison guards and total strangers. I don't think I need to give to every beggar I pass, but I do need to listen to the Holy Spirit and be guided by his prompting in my life. If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it.

1 comment:
Hi friend!! I found you through the blog world!! So fun that you are in HK...I have got to get there someday! This is one of my very favorite books. I have read it a few times and I often use it in talks about forgiveness. Take care over there and REST!!!
Love, Sarah Bendle Warren
Post a Comment