7.19.2010

Peaceful vs. Chaotic home

Recently I have felt that our home was out of control. It came in many forms. If you walked in the door, you might notice the mess (days of clothes on the floor, weeks of paper piles, last nights dishes still in the sink), and you may notice some unruly kids (disobedient and whiney), but what you may not see, is the bigger problem: my own heart.
I believe everything is Spiritual and everything in life, even the small things, relate back to my relationship with the Lord.
For example:
My house shows lack of discipline and the sin of laziness.
The kids, well, a lot of the problem goes back to me. How can I expect my kids to be thankful, joyful and obedient when their mommy is really lacking in those areas herself?
Finally my own heart shows the lack of time spent with Jesus.
When I don't "fill up" during daily time with the Lord, my own tank quickly runs out of kind words, a gentle spirit, and loving deeds toward my family. Instead of the Fruit of the Spirit, out comes anger, selfishness, and resentment. I desire instead to show them LOVE JOY PEACE PATIENCE KINDNESS GENTLENESS FAITHFULNESS GOODNESS and SELF-CONTROL. I even sat down today and wrote out specific ways that I could show each of these fruits to my family today. A few that I desired to do today were: love-telling everyone something specific I love about them, kindness-surprise them with something fun (we had a tea party for our snack), faithfulness-following through in disciplining them, joy-in playing baseball...
I didn't fulfill each one on my list, but it was a great way to see ways that I can allow the Holy Spirit to spill out of me onto my family. Sara Boney gets tired and cranky, but the Lord is the one that can love and serve in my place. I am needy for Him today, and I want it to stay that way.

7 comments:

JJ said...

so encouraging, thanks!

The Boney's said...

I would want my child to grow up in your home any day of the week! Love your openess on here- always pointing our hearts back to HIM! Love you!

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

thanks sara - so encouraging and convicting!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone...it is refreshing to be reminded of the essentials when so often I get caught up in the things that I'm frustrated with instead of the things i'm thankful for. Thanks for renewed purpose!! love you!
Laura

Emily said...

So, so true, Sara- so convicting. What a responsibility we have to set the tone and how challenging it can be to always set the right one!

Sarah said...

I especially liked how you gave very specific ways to express the fruits of the Spirit in your daily life. We miss seeing our neighbors and are looking forward to being home in one week!

Sara Walker said...

But what you probably don't realize is I am so encouraged that you don't have all your papers perfectly filed and laundry put away...because I don't either! I think you are an amazing wife and mom. I need constant reminders that my worth as a woman is not in housework!