10.12.2008

to induce or not to induce-that is the question

I am less than 10 days from my due date (Oct 21), but I feel like she is about to fall out. I am always thinking about a quick exit strategy whenever I go places. Today in church, I was standing there with my legs crossed. I know all this may seem over the top, but I never felt like this with QB. My doctor said he would induce me on Thursday since he is on call then. I have not been in favor of being induced and would rather go in my own timing, but I am driving myself crazy wondering when she will come. I would really enjoy having my own doctor as well. I feel like he knows me and what I want in my labor experience. Also we could have the grandparents come the night before instead of taking QB to a friend's house at a moments notice, even at 2am.
Speaking of friends being "on call"...I have a short list of friends that I am prepared to take QB to their house when I go into labor. Well, this weekend, the top three were all out of town at the same time, and the forth on the list got sick. (how dare them :) I called another friend and let her know that she had now moved of the top of the list. Well, so far we haven't had to use any of them. :(
Feel free to comment about your feelings on being induced. I have mixed feelings about it, and would love to hear any of your opinions/experiences.

9 comments:

Martha Cary Lowery said...

hey! Taylor went through this too with her daughter, Dylan, and she ended up inducing because it can be dangerous to leave them in their too long. I will tell Taylor to look at your blog and she can give you advice from her experience. It's good to keep up with you through your blog! Congrats on the baby!

LWB said...

Jo, go ahead and induce! You are at least 2cm already and could be more, and from the sounds of it, she's not that far off either. You sounded a lot like me with Audrey and there are great perks about having your own doctor there with you and all the reasons you listed were the same reasons we wanted to induce as well. I know there are lots of "scary" stories about inductions, but you really trust your doctor and from what you've told me, he's not one to jump the gun, but if he truly said he would do it, sounds like it would really be okay. Trust him, trust your instincts! And look how amazing my induction was - you could end up with a 3 hour, start to finish one, too.

Love you, Jo. I'll call you soon!
xoxo

Matt & Kadie Laughlin said...

Hey!
I had a GREAT experience being induced with my second, Reid. It is totally something that you and Lindsey have to decide what is right for your family--but I just wanted to give you some positive feedback!

Ann said...

Hey Sarah! Just wanted to tell you that I was induced twice. Everything went well. Luke's was rather long, but I was never in any extreme pain and had two healthy babies. I know there are other bad stories. But I just wanted to tell you both of mine went well (with no c-sections)! I can't wait to hear!

Emily said...

Sara, thanks so much for your words of encouragement. It makes you feel like you made a mistake somewhere when they start doing something wrong- when really it's just part of their growing up! OK on inducing, I was induced b/c I was two weeks late and had NOT progressed in the least. You are already so much further than I was that I would agree with the others that it would seem to be a great idea that would make plenty of good sense. Besides, then everyone can know when to be praying for beautiful Caroline's entry to the world!!!

Sarah Beth said...

you know my thoughts! i loved being induced with Daniel. praying for you! xoxox,sb

Busy momma said...

I think it all depends on the method of induction. I went in early, they broke my water, started pitocin....all went well and Princess AGS is happy, healthy and 10 months today :)
My sister in law on the other hand went in the night before. They used some type of catheter (sp?) and told her that by dawn, she would be ready to go. She was so miserable that they gave her something to help her rest and it kicked in just before pushing time. She delivered w/o a c-section but doesn't remember any of it!! AND, I've never seen someone so green- she was terribly nauseous and a zomby at that.
So, my advice would be....induction is okay IF you rest AT HOME and go in the next am. :) Good luck~

Anonymous said...

i had my first boy really fast, so my doctor wanted me to be at the hospital with my second, so 2 weeks before i was due my doctor broke my water and let me still experience labor with out medicine, ect..i went natural with both, and the second one came even faster...so if you feel ready, i'd go for it..if not, i'd wait it out until she's ready to come..good luck, i love keeping up with your precious family!

kaci kelley holland

Mary Beth said...

Sara! What did you decide? I'm excited to know :-) David and I have been thinking of y'all!