1.08.2010

naps and noses

First of all, thank you for all your comments on the last post. I am always encouraged to write more on my blog when people are reading and commenting. I'm always curious how many readers are really out there....

Secondly, I just wanted to say how tired I am of wiping snotty noses. It has been a continual run, literally, all winter. We were all clear for 2 days and then it started back up again today. Anywho, I'm sure all of you can relate to that!

Lastly, I have been thinking a lot about my kids napping, and I would love to hear any ideas ya'll have about these ages and stages. They are both going through a nap transition. CB at 15 months is moving to one afternoon nap and QB at 3 1/2 is dropping his entirely. I still put Quinn down for a nap, and he is not allowed to get out of his bed, so he usually talks/sings for 1+ hours and then I give him books to look at for another hour. If he does take a nap (about once a week), then he has a *really* hard time falling asleep at night. So I am OK if he doesn't nap, because I am still getting some ME time and he goes to bed a bit earlier at night.

I started a new thing this week during nap time for QB that he and I are both excited about: he gets to listen to the Bible on CD. Noel Piper (John's wife) talked about this in her book "Treasuring God in My Traditions", and always thought it would be a great thing to do. We are using a set of CDs called Kidz Bible, and it does all the different voices with a few songs mixed in. There are about 15 CDs in all and each are about an hour long. So this week, he listened to that for the first hour and then looked at books for the second hour, and he even fell asleep to Genesis one day. :)

I would love to hear ideas from ya'll about how you teach the Bible to your kids.

5 comments:

The Muncies said...

We love My ABC Bible Verses by Susan Hunt and The One Year Book of Devotions for Preschoolers by Crystal Bowman and Elena Kucharik. Both are quick reads on all different topics. The ABC book has led to great scripture memory and the devotion book is a sweet little read each day! Very interested to hear more on how the CD's go!

Rachel @ Moments With My Miracles said...

That CD sounds so cool Sara! I might need to look into it! I would love to be more diligent in helping my kids memorize the Word. I try to quote it to them all the time, but sadly have not been good at implementing hiding God's word in their hearts. Samuel LOVES reading his Bible though and now that He can read, I have been letting him read different parts and that makes it so much more exciting to him but we definitely need to try to start memorizing some of what he reads! Thanks for the little bit of encouragement. It's always so good to hear what other moms are doing!

Go and Tell said...

Just read your last post and will definitely be looking for that CD. Thanks for posting it!

Anne Marie said...

Sorry no advice for this post on how to teach your kids the Bible... maybe one day :).

When Chris read Lindsey's letter yesterday he said, "I love the way Boney writes!"
So glad you liked my note... even if it was a year late :)! Also, I think Intimate Allies is pretty good. I actually put it down a couple of months ago, but when you asked me about it it made me want to start reading it again. I remember loving the first few chapters. Chris and I had a lot of good conversations about the part we've read (he was reading it too). I need to finish it though before I can make an accurate statement about the book as a whole (a lot of books like these I tend to love the first half or so and then feel like the author gets repetitive... but maybe this one will be different). I do like that he gives questions at the end of each part, some of them are good to think about and even talk through. Let me know if you start reading it what you think! Hope yall are doing well!

Boysnberries' Brambles said...

we love these for teaching catechism to our kids: http://songsforsaplings.com/

and while rest time is require every afternoon here in our home, staying in bed is not. they can play quietly in their rooms or in their designated space in the house~ this does include reading, which the older 3 all like to do as they are able (obviously anna isn't there yet, but the boys have reading time as part of their rest time).